Qualifier for these routes!

The following routes were developed over years of biking in Indiana and now Kentucky. The majority of the routes are on rural paved roads with minimal secondary highways to connect the county roads. Using these routes you'll almost always find that the distances between two points is more than taking a highway however the scenery is almost always better as well as lower traffic. Hopefully you'll enjoy the great cycling in Indiana or Kentucky and if possible provide feedback on your trip.
I am not making any recommendations nor can I say that these routes are free from road hazards or dangers from traffic. Users of these routes will find them scenic and remote however only the user can assure they are safe on any public road.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tire pressure! You be the judge!

First off I don't presume to be an expert on this but after reading the article in Bicycle Quarterly on "Optimizing Your Tire Pressure for Your Weight" I started to think about it more. For as long as I could remember I pumped my road bike tires to 110 - 120 PSI or essentially the maximum rated pressure. This was to reduce pinch flats and decrease rolling resistance. Sounded good since everybody else was doing it.
It's an interesting article that may or may not get you to thinking about pressure. I did reduce pressure to what Jan recommended on his chart. The only issue i had was when I bought a new bike and retained the tires using the lower pressure I had a pinch flat, hmm! I had been using Bontrager Hardcase tires which have a pretty stiff sidewall. The supplied tires were not nearly as stiff. My conclusion, right or wrong, was that the stiffer sidewall on the Bontrager tires did not need as much pressure. Probably the reason that Jan suggests measuring tire drop.
Oh well that's my story and I'm happy using the lower pressure.

No comments: