Qualifier for these routes!

The following routes were developed over years of biking in Indiana and now Kentucky. The majority of the routes are on rural paved roads with minimal secondary highways to connect the county roads. Using these routes you'll almost always find that the distances between two points is more than taking a highway however the scenery is almost always better as well as lower traffic. Hopefully you'll enjoy the great cycling in Indiana or Kentucky and if possible provide feedback on your trip.
I am not making any recommendations nor can I say that these routes are free from road hazards or dangers from traffic. Users of these routes will find them scenic and remote however only the user can assure they are safe on any public road.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

True To Your Wheels

I have a Park TS-2 truing stand and have seen the optional attachments they provide. They looked good but limited when wanting something for both road wheels and mountain bike discs. I had constructed one which worked fairly well but when I saw this tool at Harbor Freight I realized that this would probably be perfect for my need. It came with a vise-grip wrench which could be used to attach it to the stand however I drilled a hole and bolted it permanently. I find the tool allows me to true disc brake rotors to 0.002 to 0.003 and wheels 0.005 to 0.010 providing the discs and wheels are not bent. Notice the white tip on the dial indicator shaft hear the disc. This is a nylon furniture tip and by placing this on the discs it makes a larger contact area and less dial flutter (bouncing) as it passes over holes in the disc. For me it is much easier to obtain quality truing using the dial indicator. Please excuse the amateur film maker's work.
Oh, the tool costs around $35 at Harbor Freight.

No comments: